Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Jeopardy and Feedback!

Sorry that it has been ages since I last wrote. I don’t really have any elaborate excuses to provide, other than that we’ve been busy applying to jobs in the US, planning our European Vacation, and finishing up our time here in China. We still don't know where we're going to be next year, but we have some promising leads.


Starting today, I’ll be conducting my last three days of teaching English in China. On Saturday, I decided to take a calculated risk and try playing Jeopardy with my students; I’ve got to say that I’m proud of my decision. The students are thrown off when they walk into the classroom because I’ve moved all the desks and arranged the chairs into six circles -- it’s funny to see their expressions as they take in their new surroundings. Noise levels are high during the game, but the students are quick to become quiet when I raise my hand to ask for silence. Surprisingly enough, everyone is engaged and interested in participating. Group work isn’t something used here often, so I think that the students enjoy experiencing something new.


Last week I played Mr. Bean for the students so I could talk with some of them individually to get some feedback about the class and my teaching. During the “interview” I got some interesting responses to the following questions:


Question #1: What was something that you enjoyed about this class?
Answers (NOTE: I’ve complied these answers to reflect general trends)
“The movie, cartoons, and Mr. Bean.”
“I like to relax myself in this class. It very fun.”
“You very funny. I like you very much.”



Question #2: What was something that you didn’t enjoy about this class or that I could have done better as a teacher?
“Class was very loud. We talk a lot.”
“More talking.”
“Nothing wrong. You very good teacher.” 


Question #3: What was something that you learned in this class?
“I learn spoken English and American culture.”
“You show me a new world. I learn about things outside of China.”
“I learned about western culture.”


Question #4: What do you think is one major difference between the United States and China?
“America is more open.”
“American students are more free. Chinese students have to study so much, but American students can do more fun things.”
“Classes in America are more fun. Chinese classes are very strict.”


Question #5: Do you have any questions?
“Why you come to China?”
“Will you come back to China?”
“Do you like China?”
“What you do when you get back to America?”
“Will your husband go back to America?”
“Why you leave China?”


Departure Countdown Clock: 10 days!

2 comments:

  1. Some of the comments are hilarious. But who am I to comment on other people's English?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Katie, those were some great compliments on you and your teaching. You gotta feel proud. I do. Talk soon.

    ReplyDelete